Achieving sustainable cultivation of tropical fruits
Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing
Achieving sustainable cultivation of tropical fruits. Ed. Professor Elhadi M. Yahia. Publisher Burleigh Dodds. 2019. 520 pp
Ed. Elhadi M. Yahia. Publisher Burleigh Dodds. 2019. 520 pp
This collection reviews current advances in the breeding and cultivation of key tropical and subtropical fruits.
Chapters summarise key advances across the value chain for citrus fruit cultivation, including citrus genetics, nutrition and other aspects of cultivation, the use of precision agriculture and developments in integrated pest management (IPM). Two case studies on limes and mandarins highlight the range of improvements in cultivation.
The book also summarises recent developments in breeding and cultivation techniques for a range of soft tropical fruits, including banana, kiwifruit, lychee, papaya, pineapple and pomegranate. The final part of the book covers developments in breeding and cultivation techniques for a range of stone and other tropical fruit, including avocado, coconut, guava, jackfruit, mangos and olives.
Table of contents
Part 1 Citrus fruits
- Mapping and exploiting the citrus genome: Patrick Ollitrault, CIRAD, France;
- Harvesting citrus: challenges and perspectives in an automated world: Marcos David Ferreira, Embrapa Instrumentação, Brazil;
- Advances in postharvest handling of citrus fruit: John Golding and John Archer, New South Wales Department of Primary Industries and University of Newcastle, Australia;
- Advances in understanding the ecology of citrus insect pests: Robert W. Jones, Universidad Autonóma de Queretaro, Mexico; Pablo Leido, Departamento de Entomología Tropical, Mexico; and Santiago Vergara-Pineda, Universidad Autonóma de Queretaro, Mexico;
- Advances in integrated pest management in citrus cultivation: Lukasz Stelinski, University of Florida, USA;
- Lime breeding: a way forward: Muhammad Usman, University of Agriculture, Pakistan; Muhammad Mumtaz Khan and Rashid Al-Yahyai, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman; and Bilquees Fatima, University of Agriculture, Pakistan;
- Advances in mandarin breeding: José Cuenca, Luis Navarro and Pablo Aleza, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Agrias (IVIA), Spain;
Part 2 Other tropical fruits
- Advances in avocado propagation for the sustainable supply of planting materials: Jayeni Hiti-Bandaralage, Alice Hayward, Chris O’Brien, Madeline Gleeson, William Nak and Neena Mitter, The University of Queensland, Australia;
- Advances in cultivation of avocado: Gary Bender, University of California Cooperative Extension, USA;
- Ecological intensification of banana production systems: Charles Staver, Bioversity International, France;
- Advances in breeding of coconut: L. Parera, Coconut Research Institute, Sri Lanka; R. Manimekalai, Sugarcane Breeding Institute, India; and S. Sudarsono, Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia;
- Advances in cultivation of coconut: M. A. Foale, Quang Thien Nguyen and Steve W. Adkins, The University of Queensland, Australia;
- Advances in guava breeding: Pankaj Kumar and K. Usha, Division of Fruits and Horticultural Technology – Indian Agricultural Research Institute, India; and B. Singh, Centre for Environment Science and Climate Resilient Agriculture (CESCRA), India;
- Advances in cultivation of guava: Noosheen Zahid and Mehdi Maqbool, University of Poonch, Pakistan; and Ajit Singh and Asgar Ali, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus, Malaysia;
- Crop improvement in jackfruit: S. Shyamalamma and S. Priyanka, University of Agricultural Sciences, India; and G. S. K. Swamy and P. M. Sampath, University of Horticultural Sciences, India;
- Achieving sustainable cultivation of litchi: Xuming Huang, South China Agricultural University, China;
17.Advances in breeding of mangoes: Sunday O. S. Akinyemi, National Horticultural Research Institute, Nigeria;
- Advances in mango cultivation: Victor Galán Saúco, Instituto Canario de Investigaciones Agrarias, Spain;
- Advances in breeding of papaya: Sunil Kumar Sharma, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, India;
- Advances in the cultivation of papaya: Parmeshwar Lal Saran, ICAR – Directorate of Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Research, India; and Ravish Choudhary, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, India;
- Advances in breeding and cultivation of pomegranate: Ibrahim Kahramanoglu, Serhat Usanmaz and Turgut Alas, European University of Lefke, Cyprus.